Having given the past year or so of my life to daily visting and participating of Facebook, I think I’ve finally decided the craze is over for me and that from next year I’m going to visit said site once a week.
I’m not going to call it a new years resolution, because labelling it as such will no doubt render it with the the kiss-of-death, i.e. no way in hell will I keep to it.
The fun of finding old-friends and re-kindling relationships has gone belly-up for me. Of the numerous people I’m “Friends” with, the only ones who bother to communicate with me are family members, friends and colleagues who I interact with on a daily or weekly basis anyway. So it seems pointless to post a message on thier wall when I can chat around the dinner table, or chin-wag around the water machine at work, or even gossip over a glass of wine, with them in real-life.
And try removing somebody from your “Friends” list. It’s like receiving a kick to the head. I did this recently and got the most vile email from a “de-friend’d” person. I thought the removal would be sort of quietly done with the friend being oblivious to my decision. Clearly I was wrong.
Here is my list of reasons to refrain daily usage – please feel free to add your own.
1. fed up of privacy changes and endless messages about it
2. fed up of being invited to causes and groups
3. fed up of searching for a friend and having about a million faces pop up with the same name to sift through
4. fed up of being tagged in photo’s where I look like a moron
5. fed up of being tagged in a photo only to find it’s not me at all
6. fed up of all those bloody fish/flowers/zoo thingy’s people send me
7. fed up of receiving notifications of new skins, family requests and places to visit that hold no interest whatsoever
8. fed up of not being able to read some of the messages posted due to the numbers for letters concept, and no matter how hard I try they just don’t make sense!